Legal Aid Research Reports
Justice on the Brink – Stronger Legal Aid for a Better Legal System
National Legal Aid commissioned Impact Economics to provide updated modelling of the 2014 Productivity Commission Access to Justice Report recommendations as they pertain to Legal Aid. This report – Justice on the Brink – estimates that an increase of $484 million in Legal Aid funding per year is required to address the gaps identified in the Productivity Commission Report.
The Report identifies unmet legal need, increasing demand for legal assistance and market supply issues risk due to withdrawal of private practitioners from providing Legal Aid services and recommends investment in expanding legal aid grants, increasing the means test and raising private practitioner fees.
The Benefits of Providing Access to Justice
A new report from PricewaterhouseCoopers, commissioned by National Legal Aid, has found that the provision of legal aid delivers $600 million in savings to the community, government and the justice system.
These savings are demonstrated most noticeably in legal assistance preventing family violence and stopping it from escalating.
The report found that for every $1 invested in legal aid services by the Commonwealth government an equivalent benefit of $2.25 was delivered. More than half these savings ($378 million) were in supporting women and children escaping domestic and family violence.
Legal Australia-Wide Survey 2012
Commissioned by the eight State and Territory legal aid commissions, the LAW Survey is the largest of its kind ever conducted in the world. The media release, full report and individual sections are available as pdf files.
More Research Reports
- Economic value of legal aid: Analysis in relation to Commonwealth funded matters with a focus on family law
- Family Law Private Practitioner Survey (2002)
- ILAG 2023 - Early Legal Assistance in Child Protection (LANSW)
- ILAG 2023 - Is Access for All Really Access to Justice (LANSW)
- ILAG 2023 - The role of modern communications in providing legal assistance (LSCSA)
- ILAG 2023 - What is the Cost of Not Funding Legal Assistance (VLA)
- Justice on the Brink Report - NLA media release 22-11-2023
- Justice on the Brink Report November 2023
- Legal Aid and Self Representation in the Family Court of Australia (May 2003)